


I have officially started working at my school in La Molina. So far, its a lot of work! My students begin classes March 2nd so I am furiously running around trying to prepare my lessons and classrooms. Yes, classroomS. I teach both 5th and 8th graders. I am also on a team of teachers that are going to run the school magazine. This should all keep me very occupied. I have had some time this week to work on my own writing though. I've had a lot of ideas for my book, so hopefully they keep coming.
This month we've gone to the beach a few times. We stayed in Playa Asia twice -- once with Javie's friend Renzo (lovingly called Kung Fu Panda) and his friend Magali. They both have beautiful houses on the beach. Both times we received wonderful welcomes by their families. At night we ventured over to the club scene and danced for hours. Here in Peru, the discos are open until 6 or 7 in the morning. A red bull is a happy site at 3 in the morning. When Javier and I were taking the bus back to Lima....we had to chase about 30 busses. Everyone ruuuuuuns to the bus and pushes and shoves at the door. Usually the bus can only take 2 or 3 more people and then they leave. Then the next bus comes and you must ruuuuuun to wherever it decides to pull over. This is repeated until you somehow manage to be the first in line or a bus happens to be empty and allows all of you on board. It was frustrating at first, but the site of these people running full speed with their coolers and huge bundles of who knows what -- began to be quite amusing. Javier keeps telling me "you need to look rude." This way, you look like you know what you are doing at all times and people don't want to mess with you. I have mastered my rude face (some would argue years ago). I have definitly noticed a difference in how less people talk to you/bother you when you look rude.



Also, we celebrated Valentine's Day this year at Bisteka in Miraflores. It is an all-you-can-eat place (a little pricey). The food was excellent. Naturally, I stuffed myself with sushi sushi sushi and lots of chocolate covered strawberries. They had a lot of Peruvian food too. We stayed for three hours and ate as much as we could....Javier ended up throwing up on the way out. That should tell you how much we ate. We had a great time.
Lastly, I have officially mastered the combis in lima. Combis are the main form of public transporation here. Some people call them "chicken busses." I haven't seen a chicken on one yet, but I have seen many other odd things. My first combi was with Javier's mom when we went to Gamarra. This time, Javier and I were going to my school. I was trying to learn the routes I would have to take each day. When I was exiting the combi, the conductor accused me of not paying the 50 cent soles. I turned and told him I already paid, as I caught my foot on the door. I landed outside the combi in a lot of pain. I looked down at my leg and blood was running down my entire shin. I had cut myself on the door....somehow. So there I was, standing on the street with a bloody leg. I ran to a kiosk and demanded some napkins. I tried to get the blood to stop but it took a while. Now I have a lovely scar. So, no matter where I end up in life, Peru will always be with me.

That same day, I took the wrong combi back to San Borja. I ended up in a not so nice area and had to walk almost 20 blocks to get to the main street I needed to be at. Not only was it a stupid mistake that cost me s/1 but it gave me a chance to, once again, use my rude face. Its amazing how well it works. If you look nice and approachable you are a greater target for danger. I made my way quicklly to the right street and arrived sweaty and irritable. Since then, I am happy to report, I have had no combi trouble.

Happy late Valentine's Day to all my loved ones!
2 comments:
Hi Jessica! I found your blog on Staeeys. It was so wonderful to catch up on what you have been doing. You've got some great pictures posted. We miss you around here!! I will be stopping by on your blog to keep up with al you are doing. Take care! Love you!
HEY JESS!!!!!!!! I TOTALLY MISS YOU I'M GETTING MARRIED IN LIKE 21 DAYS AND YOUR NOT GOING TO BE THERE........BUT IT LOOKS LIKE YOUR HAVING HEEPS AND HEEPS OF FUN!!! TE AMO!!!!
Post a Comment