Monday, January 12, 2009

LIMA, PERU

Now I live here! 
This is Lima - a gorgeous, busy and dangerous city with lots of history

This is a beach near Mancora.



Hello everyone! Well I am in Lima now. I left L.A. December 28th and I arrived here on the 29th. Emily and Kris took me to the airport - which was such a blessing. We had so much fun on the car ride down. I LOVE those two. Javier (a very dear friend I met in Cusco last time I was in Peru) picked me up. He was right on time! I was so excited to see him after being in airports for over 30 hours.

We left the next day for Mancora. Its a cute little beach town just a few hours from the Peru/Ecuador border. Javier's family invited me to spend New Year's with them there. They rented a beautiful house on the beach. It was so nice to relax for a few days. Cati (Javier's Mom) and Fred (Catí's boyfriend) treated us to wonderful meals and a boatride in Tumbes (the town where Pizzaro first landed). I got sick after eating a regional ceviche dish in Tumbes. This was a real bummer because I love ceviche and am a little more nervous after a verrrryy long evening in the bathroom. =) I had a very lovely New Yea'r's doing what I love to do....dancing!!

Now I am back in Lima and job hunting. Javier's family has been so wonderful and welcoming. We have gone to a beach near Lima. It is a Peru I have never known before --- a bunch of rich Peruvian yuppies. Ironically the beach mansionettes are inside a gated community while just outside are the shacks and poor people. I have had some interesting conversations about wealth concentration in the country. Although Javier says its the "real Peru" I just smile and shake my head.

I have tried Chifa (Peruvian Chinese food) and many other traditional dishes. Elena, the family's assistant (maid) is an excellent cook. I am dying for some MEXICAN FOOD. I need spice and cilantro and SALSA. My tounge needs to burn. The food here has much flavor but no SPICE. I lowered myself to eating Hot Doritos hoping to get my fix.

Tonight we are going bowling and tomorrow to a goodbye party for one of our friends that is leaving for Spain to study. I send my love to all of you!

No comments: